Tuesday, December 8

"I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions." Augusten Burroughs

I have not read any of Augusten Burroughs' books, but from what I have gleaned regarding his past, he survived a particularly horrific childhood and converted his experience into several successful memoires. I love this one line all on its own. It is simply one of the most humble and pathos-filled sentiments I have ever encountered, and it makes me both want to smile and cry.

 

I can only guess at Mr. Burroughs’ state of mind when he wrote this about himself, but I find it poetic as an expression of the human condition. And I enjoy the concept of intent as a redeeming quality. I like good intentions. They lead to good things...

 

And that’s all I have to say about that.